Need a recipe that’s easy on the budget and also easy to put together? Try my recipe for Mushroom & Spinach Stuffed Shells.
This one is meat free but the cheesy filling is so yummy, you’ll won’t care that there’s no meat. If you have a crew that just can’t do without the meat, you can always add in some cooked shredded chicken or Italian sausage.
My guys will eat anything that combines pasta and cheese so even though there are “green things” in this one they still gobble it up!
What’s also nice about this one is that you can prep your shells ahead of time and then just toss the whole casserole dish in the fridge and bake it when you need it. My recipe makes a ton of food so you can feed a big group or enjoy leftovers. I love recipes that allow me to have a quick and easy lunch the next day…less work for me!
This recipe is part of the Publix Menu – Week Of 9/25. Here are the other recipes that I have shared –
- 16 – 20 jumbo pasta shells
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 6 oz mushrooms, chopped
- 10 oz spinach
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Cook the shells according to package directions, limiting the took time to about 9 minutes then drain.
- While the shells are cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add the onions and cook until translucent.
- Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 -2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until they begin to turn golden brown.
- Add the spinach to the veggies and stir, cooking until wilted (about 2 minutes) then remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, add the ricotta, egg, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and stir to combine.
- Add the vegetables to the cheese mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour 1 1/4 cups of marinara in the bottom of a 4 quart casserole dish.
- Fill the cooked shells with the cheese mixture and place in the prepared dish.
- Using the remaining 1/4 cup of marinara sauce, top each shell with a dollop of sauce and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake in a 375º F oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the shells and bake another 15 minutes.
- Serve with additional parmesan if desired.