Welcome to this week’s Publix Super Meals. Each week I am going to share a recipe to help you take the Publix Super Deals and turn them into Publix Super Meals!
When I saw the sale on bell peppers at Publix I knew exactly what was going on my menu this week. Stuffed Bell Peppers are one of the easiest, most economic and delicious meals that you can throw together. I'll be honest, when I make them I usually don't even measure. I just toss the ingredients together and the peppers come out perfect every time.
I always try to make extras so that I can have it for lunch the next day. Now, my boys are not overly fond of the bell pepper but they will eat the filling all day long.
Give these a try and let me know what you think!
- 4 - 6 bell peppers
- 2 cups cooked rice
- ½ pound ground beef
- ½ pound sausage
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut about ¼ off the top off each bell pepper and remove stem, seeds and membrane.
- Chop the removed top portion of the bell pepper and set aside.
- Parboil the large bell pepper cups in boiling water for approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove the peppers and allow to drain.
- Add chopped bell pepper, onion, garlic, ground beef, and sausage to a large skillet and cook until meat is browned.
- Drain any fat.
- Add salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, cooked rice, tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add cheese and remove from heat.
- Stuff meat mixture into bell pepper cups.
- Place stuffed peppers in a baking dish filled with 1 inch of water.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until peppers are tender
- Top with additional shredded cheese if desired.
Here are the sale items this week at Publix. You will definitely be able to put this one together for under $10. I bet you already have many of the necessary ingredients in your kitchen right now!
Green Bell Peppers, $1.49/lb
Sweet Onions, $0.99/lb
Publix Ground Round, $3.99/lb
Bob Evans Sausage, 2/$6
Sargento Shredded Cheese, 5 to 8 oz, BOGO $4.19
Contadina Tomato Sauce, 15 oz, BOGO $1.25
Tools used in these recipes:
- Cutting Board, 10? x 15?
- Measuring Cup
- Measuring Spoons
- “Classic” Nonstick Sauce Pan
- Ceramic Square Dish 2 qt
- Wood Turner
- Non-Stick Chef’s Knife
Keep in mind that Publix carries a huge variety of Good Cook products. You can find a large selection of tools and cookware throughout the store - including the awesome square ceramic dish that I love!
Also, don’t forget about my giveaway for a full set of Produce Keepers from Good Cook (total value – $42.00). Head over HERE to enter.