#Social Power – Create Change & Make A Difference

This post brought to you by Social Power. All opinions are 100% mine.

photo e7359c27-83a0-4aa4-aae0-ea09656c2a0c_zps8449183d.jpg

Being on the internet for a good chunk each day, I see the impact of social media. I am sure you guys have noticed it as well. If you’ve ever gone to a page to try to get one of the 10,000 coupons available only to see that they’ve all disappear in less than a minute – you know all about what social media can do.

Social media is a platform that enables individuals to connect and do things such as sharing photos, feelings, and ideas.  While one person may not make a big impact. When combined, a group can be very powerful and really make things happen.

That’s where Social Power can be huge. Social Power is the platform that harnesses the untapped power of social media to resolve everyday issues, both big and small. Social Power takes social media one huge step further by harnessing the power-of-the-people to create meaningful long-term sustainable change.

The process is pretty simple –

• Issue. First you think of the most important, resolvable issues that affect not only you, but others as well. Once you share that issue on Social Power, works to raise awareness for it in their social network, while you do the same in yours.
  • Initiative. Once 1,000 people agree that your issue also affects them, Social Power turns that issue into an initiative. Once an initiative is formed, Agents of Change are notified of the initiative they are capable of resolving.
  • Resolution. Once the Agent of Change proposes an acceptable resolution, it is offered back to the Social Power user base. These resolutions often come in the form of a price reduction, a better product, service, or experience.

So as an example, here is a current issue over on Social Power that I think many of you guys might be interested in checking out – Supermarkets should offer all food about to expire at a 50% discount

I have to admit I think this is an interesting concept. I’ve often wondered what happens to all that food that expires. I’d certainly take a closer look at marked down items and would be willing to change my menu if I could pick up an item at a hefty discount.

What do you guys think? Should supermarkets mark down foods that are about to expire? If you agree, you can use social media to try to bring about a change. Check out the video to see how it works. Head over to Social Power and support the cause, then comment and share with your own social network and let’s see if we can make a difference.

Visit Sponsor's Site

Comments

1. joy says

Some products such as produce is sold to farmers, Bread is given to organizations that feed the less fortunate and shelters etc.

2. Melissa says

I worked at a local non profit helping homeless families and the local Publix would donate tons of meat that was set to expire. We would freeze it and then ration it out.
    As a stay at home mom I appreciate the stores that mark down meat because it greatly helps my food bill when I can take advantage of a meat sale. However, if they aren’t going to do that then they could at least donate it to local food kitchens.

3. Sarah says

I work for a grocery store and some companies give us credit for out of date or damage product. The one’s that don’t we try to monitor the dates and mark down ahead of time. Like Joy said also we are affiliated with a local food bank and donate any other product that goes out of date. It’s not just as simple as some people think. Stores aren’t looking to just dump product to get rid of it.

4. Sam says

I know that stores donate expiring shelf stable products to food banks, but what about produce? I’ve switched ALL my organic produce purchasing from my local Publix to the local co op or Whole Foods because my stores will rather let the product rot than mark it down. Even though Publix is closer, and it is such a convenience to do all of my shopping at one place, I just got sick (literally and figuratively) of paying premium prices for moldy strawberries, fungal oranges and carrots and bruised/rotten apples. I know it sounds like I don’t inspect my fruit, but I do, it’s just not immediately apparent, and I don’t have time to microscopically analyze each piece of fruit. In fact, once, I got a bag of carrots that went bad a week before their “best buy” date. I’ve complained to my store managers several times, but to no avail. I suggested that if they notice fruit/produce that is nearing its sell by date, to mark it down — make a “bruised bin” like they have at the local farmers’ market. However, no one has paid me any attention. I imagine they’re just trying to keep their profit margins up by keeping the produce on the shelf as long as possible, but the way I see it, they lose out on that fruit once its bad, so they may as well discount it and get what they can.

5. Christine Marie says

I know when we went to adopt a box turtle from a local rescue here in south Fl, the rescue got all their produce donated from a local publix. That dang turtle ate so well while he was there he was chubby. One more reason to love publix.

6. tracy says

I think as a private business they should do whatever they want to do with their products and business.Its not my place to try and run someone elses business or tell them what they should be doing with the products they order for their store.

7. Jess says

I once asked the seafood depaftment whT happens with the fresh fish that can only be eaten within in so many days he said we toss it. I was told the reason being they cant afford a law suit of it was bad. I love seafood from publix but if they are tossing an absurd amount away then they should reevaluate how much they have out at a time. Its better to turn someone away for not having a piece of fish to shrimp or frozen then wasting food. Good fish is hard to come by and if we are careful how muvh we waste we wont ruin our wildlife reserves and such. This goes for fruit and more. I say dont have more available if u know its going to waste. Cook it or offer it to ur employee before it goes bad

8. tonu42 says

This is actually a very controversial topic for Publix from an associate standpoint. I am just a cashier but late at night I sometimes get a chance to see what happens to the various departments. I have seen 10-20 chickens or fried chicken boxes all tossed in garbage bags and compacted. I have seen meat guys take fine looking meats and throw them in bins to be tossed. Its a damn shame. But the whole idea of marking down things doesn’t benefit the supermarket.

Because than you have people waiting for meat to expire and only buying the expired meat. So thats a really bad idea because supermarkets can’t thrive if they are having to sell things at 50% off. I mean lets be real here, if you knew their are certain meats that are 50% off, you’re going to wait for them, I know I would.

Also employees can’t accept expired foods because Publix does not give away products without a form of coupon bonus. Taking chicken that is about to be thrown out is considered stealing and they are fried….

9. T-dawg says

I love all these replies. “Social” anything tends to be a dangerous idea. As you can see from the comments, many grocery stores already donate or do something positive with expiring items and I’m sure there are many rules and regulations and lawsuits that already deal with these issues and are probably the reason that items are thrown out. It is irresponsible to just point fingers and say that a company should or should not do something just because you think you have come up with a great idea. In this example, the assumption is that grocery stores are purposefully wasteful. The last thing a store wants to do is willfully throw away items they have laid capital out for.

• tonu42 says

Thats a very good comment. Its funny that all these people think we don’t hire experts on what to do with all this product.

10. Elissa says

The Super Target in my city places $1, $2 or $3 off stickers on fresh meat 1 day before the sell by date. I just buy and freeze if I am not going to use it the next day. Saves me a lot of money, especially if I have Jennie O couplons to use with the store discount!

11. Susie says

Publix donates ttons and tons of food to local food bank. They even donate pet food to the Humane Society.

12. publixlover says

I lived in a town with a Sweetbay. They did mark down their meat 50% when it was one or two days from expiration. Eventually they began marking it down less. I would mark down the expiration dates for the sausage and come back a day before.

13. SHwoman says

I do work for a grocery store and I will have to say that I think it’s the lawsuits. One person could sue a store for selling them meat that wasn’t expired but they felt it made them sick. I think most good ideas are ruined by the people looking for a quick buck. But I’m young and that statement might be too stereotypical.

14. Georgia Peach says

can a store tell who they sold the meat to to by the meat label? ? I think a employee is getting meat and selling it.