It's official - summer break has started at my house. I am not sure if I should be happy or terrified!
The first thing that comes to mind is that I might actually get to sleep in past 6 am. Then, I remember that my children have a wacky little internal alarm clock and they are up by 6:30 even on the weekends.
Next, I think - at least there's no more running around doing carpool twice a day at two different schools. Then it hits me...my few hours of freedom to run errands, have an uninterrupted phone conversation, shop solo and just think without constant interruptions is now OVER and will not return for over 2 months!
Just as I wonder if I am the only mom out there who is a little sad to see school end, I get a link to a phenomenal post by another mom who is not afraid to admit her shortcomings. Half way through her post, I was crying because I was laughing hysterically! What a relief to know that maybe all those times I think that I'm the only loser mom out there...perhaps I am not alone after all!
I have to giggle a bit when I read emails from you guys. You are all so wonderful to offer such praise for the efforts on my sites and often ask how I manage to do it all. The truth is - I don't do it all. Often what I do actually manage to get done is rushed and quite pitiful.
I wake up very early each morning and go to bed very late each night. I have high hopes for what I can accomplish each day and very, VERY rarely actually complete a small fraction of those tasks. More often, I am barely scraping by just getting the very basic things done...
- The basket above is just one of three baskets in my home currently overloaded with laundry.
- I actually grabbed a pair of capri pants from the basket above to throw on before my friend came to pick up her son yesterday...you know because I had yet to get a shower by 4 pm! I totally neglected to see the big glop of what I think was peanut butter that had crusted up. Hopefully she missed it too - geez!!
- My children and their guest ate Chips Ahoy Cookies, Pop-Tarts and a Capri Sun as their after school snack yesterday. This was the snack they chose when I somehow agreed that they could get their own snacks. It seems my oldest chose to ask for a snack at the exact moment that my cell phone notification went off letting me know I had a text from my husband who needed to know what size batteries I needed, my home phone began to ring, the Skype noise on my computer started dinging repeatedly, and the dogs were losing their mind because the UPS man was at the door wanting me to sign for a package! I suppose I should be thankful that Jake didn't request the keys to my car to head out to Chik-fil-A. Obviously I would have just handed them over in my oblivious state of what to deal with first. Tania...if you see this - so sorry I think they only had maybe 3 - 4 cookies...and it was fruit juice...does that at least count as semi-healthy? tee hee 😉
- I cleaned noodles and fed them to my youngest son this week for lunch. Yes - I cleaned noodles! Instead of cooking up a new batch of noodles when he wanted "regular spaghetti" for lunch, I just rinsed peanut butter sauce off of what we had. Go ahead and grab that "Mom of the Year" crown and plop it right on my head.
- I allowed my 5 year old to go to the store as "Super-Farmer Jeb." I just did not have the energy to argue with him about changing clothes. I am sure he found those pajamas in one of the three dirty clothes baskets described above.
- I substituted gummy bears for vitamins. We ran out of vitamins and instead of walking upstairs to search for a new bottle of gummy vitamins, I actually grabbed 4 gummy bears and gave them to my children and passed them off as a "new vitamin" before bedtime. My bulldog always has a fit about wanting to go to the upstairs room when he sees me headed that way and I just did not want to deal with him. Uggh....gummy bears before bed!
- My boys have been sharing a bed for a couple of days. Of course they each have their own bed, but one is not usable because the mattress pad is in one of those dang dirty clothes baskets. My son has to be cut off from drinking any water after 7 pm each night or there is the possibility that he will have an accident. He knows the rules but this week we were at a baseball party until after 8 pm. I couldn't refuse his plea for water with his pizza & cake. I am pretty sure the bed linens are somewhere in the middle of basket #2. Hopefully I can get them back into their own beds within a day or so...sigh.
- The last two days of school included two half days. That slight change threw me so off schedule that we completely forgot about swim lessons...you know the ones I pay for in advance and can't make up unless I give them notice that we can't make it...grrrr!!
- We all know school is pointless the last week. My rule-following Jake informed me that his homework folder indicated that he needed to read a book for homework. I was so tired and really just needed the boys to go to bed. Instead of grabbing a book before bed...even a short book - I told him that he could turn in one of his homework passes if his teacher asked about the book....how sad
What's scary is that those are just a FEW of my shining moments this week! Please tell me some of you have piles of laundry and that I am not alone in washing sauce off spaghetti noodles? Please just lie to me if I am really the only one - tee hee!!
So next time you see a misspelled word or an incorrect amount listed in a deal scenario please understand that some days I am hanging by a thread. For all of you who are in my shoes and about to embark on a big, fat, fun summer break...here's hoping we all survive 😀
As for my shopping this week. I spent too much- plain and simple! I had $125 in gift cards that I earned from blogging and used every single bit plus had to use $26.37 of my own money to cover the rest.
It's Friday and I am just too tired to find my receipt and type it all out. There is nothing impressive and I am honestly not sure I want to see my pitiful trip. I could have done so much more with those gift cards but I grabbed what I needed without having to bust my budget.
How did you guys do this week? Leave a comment or link to your weekly totals.