We've been talking grapefruit recipes for a couple of weeks now and I thought I would share one that I whipped up for lunch last week from the Juicy Scoop Facebook page - Spicy Fish Tacos with Grapefruit Cabbage Slaw.
It was super easy and oh so good. You could increase the recipe and do this for dinner one night and your family would love it. It's light yet very flavorful and did I mention super easy to throw together!
- 4 ounces white fish
- (such as tilapia, cod, halibut or snapper)*
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave nectar
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon chili powder, or to taste
- ½ jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup pre-shredded broccoli slaw
- ½ Florida pink or red grapefruit,thinly segmented
- ¼ cup julienned radishes
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 corn tortillas, warmed/toasted in dry skillet
- Grill or broil fish until internal temperature reaches 145° F. Whisk lime zest and juice, honey, chili powder, jalapeño, salt and pepper. Toss mixture with slaw, grapefruit, radishes and cilantro. Serve fish and slaw in tortillas.
Besides being delicious and extremely versatile, grapefruit is a healthy choice as well. Fresh grapefruit and 100% grapefruit juice is only 60 calories per serving and provide a variety of vitamins and minerals and is:
• Fat free
• Saturated fat free
• Sodium free
• Cholesterol free
• Free from added sugars
You really can't go wrong whether you drink it, use it in your recipe or eat them as it - grapefruit really is a super fruit!
I have another winner to announce! Congratulations to Joanne. She is the winner of a $100 Publix gift card in the week 2 giveaway for sharing her favorite grapefruit recipe - (I am totally making this one!!)
Grapefruit Upside Down Cake
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter
3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
2 small pink grapefruit
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
Whipped cream, (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put 4 tablespoons butter in a 9-inch round baking pan. Place the pan in the oven just long enough to melt the butter. Remove pan from oven; scatter 1/2 cup brown sugar evenly over the melted butter.
2. With a sharp knife, peel the grapefruit, removing all pith, and slice. Arrange the slices to cover the bottom of the pan.
3. In a bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, and allspice. In a separate bowl, using an electric mixer, beat remaining 6 tablespoons butter until creamy. Add granulated sugar and remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar; beat until well combined. Beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in vanilla. Alternately add dry ingredients and milk to butter mixture, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
4. Pour batter over grapefruit in pan. Bake 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes; turn cake out onto serving plate. Serve warm or at room temperature, with whipped cream if desired.
You guys have another chance to win a $100 Publix gift card. The folks at Florida Grapefruit have offered to give another I Heart Publix reader a $100 Publix gift card just for sharing your best grapefruit recipe that incorporates at least 1/2 cup of grapefruit.
Entry is simple! You just need to complete the task below! As a reminder, comments left on Facebook, Twitter or other posts will not be included. I will choose the winner on Monday 2/18 at 11 pm.
- Share your best grapefruit recipe that incorporates at least 1/2 cup of grapefruit in the comments below.
Disclosure: This giveaway is sponsored by the folks at Florida Department of Citrus. All comments and opinions are my own.