Getting The Most Bang For Your Buck – Price Per Ounce/Per Item

bang-for-your-buckWe have discussed this before but with since we are starting a new year, I thought it would be a good to revisit a great way to get the most bang for your buck.

When I look at prices I am ultimately looking for the best cost per ounce or cost per item. Many products come in varied sizes and often it may be hard to determine which is the better deal. Luckily Publix does the work for us. On their shelf tags they list the price per ounce/unit for each item!

publix-tagNow, all of you guys know that the trick to saving money is using a coupon with a sale to get the most bang for your buck. To find the price all you have to do is take the price after coupon and divide it by the product size.

In many cases, buying multiple small items with a coupon will yield a better price per ounce. This is not always the case so sometimes you have to whip out your calculator!

Check out this scenario:

Dixie Napkins 360 ct, $3.99
-$1/2 Packages of DIXIE Napkins
You pay $3.49 or about .96 per napkin!

Dixie Napkin 180 ct, $2.89
-$1/2 Packages of DIXIE Napkins
You pay $2.39 or about 1.3¢ per napkin!

In this case bigger is better! While you will pay more out of pocket, you are getting more napkins for your money by grabbing a couple of the large packs of napkins.

Now, be sure and look at all the options available when you shop. I noticed the Publix GreenWise Napkins were only a few feet from the Dixie Napkins…check out that price WITHOUT any coupons.

Publix Napkins 250 ct, $1.66 — around half a cent per napkin

While coupons usually make for the best deals- it’s not always the case! Keep price per item in mind when you shop and you will definitely get the most bang for your buck!

Comments

1. Staci says

Thinking about it like that would drive me nuts lol, like the napkins for example. Because I have kids, they’ll use the napkins for anything. When they waste them I would thing “you just wasted a dime!” Lol and i’d go nuts :D

2. Dave says

My math says your decimals are off by one.
    The Dixie 360 count comes to 0.96c per napkin (less than a penny), not 9.6c each.
    The 180 count is 1.3c per napkin.
    the publix is still the cheapest at 0.67c per napkin (2/3 of a penny each)

3. Maggie says

I think about this all the time and ALWAYS use the shelf tags at stores to find out how much I am getting per ounce. I even do this when it comes to toilet paper and paper towels. I was showing a friend how to coupon and she was laughing because I made her check each package for the price per ounce. This is the only way to truly save money!

4. hadit says

Staci, consider buy wash cloths. Find them cheap by the bundle and just wash them. no paper wasted, it’s was our grandparents did, lol

5. Lori says

I LOVE how Publix has that price listed….though sometimes you need a calculator if they list it as price per pound instead of ounces.

And if I’m in a store who DOESN’T list per ounce, I whip the old phone out again…….

SOOOO many times it makes a difference!

6. Dawn says

Staci and Hadit. I like to take left over material from projects and make napkins. I do it with tablecloths that are stained or have a hole too. I have the pretties little napkins made from the boarder print of my old tablecloth. I did get some of those free napkins from Target in November and they are set aside. Just an idea.

7. Dawn says

I did this tip today. Dollar tree has dried beans; 12 oz for $1. It comes to $1.33 per pound. Turns out that it is a pretty good price if you need less than 5 to 10 pounds of dried beans. I didn’t even know that they carried dried beans!

8. Alex says

A TALE OF CAUTION… Don’t fully trust the calculated per each numbers on those tags. There have been numerous occasions where my mathematical instinct suggested they were wrong and a calculator proved that they were wrong. People make mistakes, so just be aware that those numbers can possibly be incorrect. It’s rare but it happens.

9. maddie says

ounce, pounds, count, ml – i do it all the time too.

though i spend an extra minute with toilet paper and paper towels just cause you not only consider the rolls, they may differ in number of sheets and number ply per roll.