Coupon Question and Answer: Ask I Heart Publix 11/28

coupon question and answer
If you have a question about couponing at Publix, this is the place to find the answer! Each week my buddy Christy over at Winn Dixie on a Dime and I have a little coupon question and answer session here on Ask I Heart Publix. Keep sending in those questions – we love to answer them! Just remember if we didn’t get to your question this week…we will do our best to cover it another week!!

Remember–there is a tab at the top of the site under “About” titled “Ask I Heart Publix” where you can find the questions and answers from past weeks!

Here are this week’s questions:

1. When we find a really good deal, or new coupon booklet, how can we make you aware of it (send you the info/picture)?
  2. Can I use Kroger eCoupons at Publix?
  3. How can I best thank my favorite Publix staff without tipping?
  4. How do you “stock up” on produce?
  5. Any tips on how to save on produce, meat and dairy only?

And here are the answers!

1. Ronnie wants to know: When we find a really good deal, or new coupon booklet, how can we make you aware of it (send you the info/picture)?

Michelle: The easiest way to let me know of a deal is to email me at contactiheartpublix @ gmail.com (remove spaces).

2. Laura wants to know: In Alabama, Kroger’s is considered one of Publix competitors. I was looking at Kroger’s site to try to print some coupons, however, it seems as though you can only load them on your Kroger’s card. Will Publix accept coupons on your Kroger’s card or will they only take printed coupons from Kroger’s? Maybe there is a way to print the coupons that I don’t know about?

Christy: This one is all Michelle – no Krogers in my area!

Michelle: Unfortunately, we can’t use Kroger digital coupons at Publix because there is no way for Publix staff to see them/access them as they are loaded on the Kroger Plus card, and no way to print them…. :-(

3. Marie wants to know: My Publix enforces its very strict No Tipping policy but all the folks in the store are beyond helpful…some of the folks even used to bring the double cart to my car if they saw me drive up after I had twins. :)

My question is..do you think it is appropriate to bake some cookies or some other gesture for the staff and if so, should you bring a big tray of snacks to the store for the whole store to share (even the ones you never see) or offer individual ‘goody’ type bags?

Christy: We’ve addressed this here before but it’s a good question…especially with the holidays fast approaching! I would say that how you thank your store (or individual employees) is up to you. A little gift bag for your favorite staff members is a sweet gesture…although I’m sure a big tray of snacks for everyone would be appreciated too! It really depends on how much you want to do.

Michelle: Everyone enjoys a treat and a nice little gift for a job well done. I would probably advise the manager at your store just so they know what your plans are. I would also encourage you to take a moment and shoot an email on Publix.com or write a note to management letting them know of specific folks who make your shopping a pleasure. That additional “pat on the back” can really go a long way!

4. Marie wants to know: I am wondering if you or any of the readers have any advice on how to really “stock up” on produce prices when they’re very good. Obviously I can’t freeze lettuce when it’s cheap or buy a year’s worth of potatoes when they’re BOGO…but do you have any tips for me?

Christy: This is a question I’d love to see answered by commenters – I’m sure they have some great ideas! In the past, I’ve ‘stocked up’ on produce by freezing and canning some fruits, vegetables, and herbs when they were at their absolute lowest price. If anyone has a way to “stock up” on perishables like lettuce, etc – I’d love to hear about it! :)

Michelle: You can freeze a ton of veggies! Think about all the bags of veggies you buy at the store – you can make your own bags of frozen veggies too! All you have to do is blanch the veggies before you freeze them! Check out THIS site for some tips on how to prep various veggies for the best results. I have had great success freezing tons of veggies.

5. Meagan wants to know: I am single and I shop the perimeter except for coffee and toiletries (no snacks, cereals, breads etc. Produce, meat and dairy only). Any advice regarding saving on this aspect?

Christy: The best way to save on items like these are to use Publix or competitor coupons. $X/$XX coupons are like “free money” coupons that allow you to save on whatever you need. Plus competitor coupons will really help as well!

When you can’t find or don’t have access to those types of coupons, though, the best way to save is to reduce the cost of the items you do buy (like toiletries and coffee) with manufacturer’s coupons. Any savings helps to keep your overall budget down!

Michelle: My tip would be shop the sales and if possible don’t be picky about the brands you use. Stock up when items are on sale so you can devote more of your weekly budget to items that you might need that are not on sale/no coupon available. Also, plan your meals ahead of time based on what you have on hand plus what is on sale. If steak is not on sale –then don’t put it on your menu ;-)

Then as Christy said, use competitor coupons and $x/$xx coupons to help reduce your bill if you can!

I hope our answers to these questions were helpful! Make sure you ‘tune in’ next week for even more Q&A with I Heart Publix. If you have a question you’d like to see answered, email me at contactiheartpublix@gmail.com.

Comments

1. Amy says

I have some comments for the #3 question about thanking Publix employees. I made it a point a while back to tell a manager about a pleasant experience with a Publix employee. The manager informed me that I should fill out the comment cards located at the front of the store because employees earn free food vouchers by getting positive feedback. So, although the employee may not know exactly who the comment came from, they’ll get free food from it, and I think that’s a great reward!

• Mariah says

I am a current employee of Publix and love getting compliments. We not only get free food from a customer compliment but our managers make a point of letting us know we are providing excellent service. :)

2. C. says

Being a store managers wife and a past Publix employee, I usually don’t read this post. But I have to tell you how much you can learn. Today you have reminded me we don’t always know it all! LOL! Thanks so much for all your hard work and keeping your site so FRESH! ( I need to start freezing more veggies!)

3. Ashley says

One suggestion I have for produce is to check manufacturer’s sites for coupons. For instance, Earthbound Farms currently has .75 cents off any item, Dole currently has .50 cents off pineapples, POM has $1 off pomegranates, etc. Also, if you write the companies they will often send coupons. You can also ask the company how often you can get coupons from them. It may be as often as every 6 months or once a year. Hope that helps!

4. Derpy Hooves says

I have recently started stocking up on veggies when they are on sale and then putting them in my dehydrator. I have little packets of my own homemade soup and noodle mix ready for Christmas gift baskets.

Before I started doing this, I simply reminded myself that there will always be another deal on a different veggie next week and I made sure to first in, first out the produce I had already bought.

5. Whit says

#2 Be on the lookout for the Kroger home mailers that are sent out. I use those at publix which leads to some awesome deals.. especially the best customer coupons. Some of them say “store coupon” at the top which ofcourse you can stack with your MQ. You can make your own deal lol.. You might already do this but I just wanted to point it out because I didnt get these coupons in the mail at first and after visiting the customer servce counter at Kroger, I started getting them like every month or 2.

6. Sam says

Though not single (married with three little ones), I find myself shopping a lot like Megan. We don’t really eat a lot of processed stuff and usually a snack item is only on my list if the price is super low.

I usually shop for grocery only at Publix, but found that I was getting frustrated trying to get the best deals on meat/dairy/produce at Publix. Especially when trying to buy organic. In my experience, Publix rarely has the best prices on organic products, even when they’re on sale and/or with coupons. I had to diversify my shopping — Aldi, Fresh Market, Target and Whole Foods often have better everyday prices and accept coupons, so keep an eye on their sales as well.

The best recommendation I have though with regards to produce is to take a look at your local farmer’s market! I go to a co-op in my area and get to pick and choose fresh, local produce, often organic, at prices that beat Publix. Just as an example, this past week, I got organic pomegranates at a $1.00 apiece when the conventional ones were $2.50 at publix.

Good luck shopping and thanks to Michelle for hosting everyone’s questions!

7. maggie says

Meagan,
    you can be picky, use your savings to offset other items, and buy from the perimeter. The trick is to wait for a sale on the products you like and buy. You may want to buy coupons. I have just started buying from my coupon hunter, with excellent results. I buy for two people and have a small apartment, so my strategy may be different than others.

You may find the drugstores best for toiletries. I only like crest toothpaste, my boyfriend only likes irish spring soap, edge shaving cream, and chaptstick original. When these are on sale, I buy. For food, i only like a 3 months supply, but on toiletries, I have no problem with a six month supply. Once I had a small supply going, I found I could keep my supply up by only buying one to two items every time it was on sale.

Coffee is another great stock up item. I currently have 8 bags of caribou coffee. Great product, not always on sale. I bought coupons for the last sale and stocked up.

Don’t forget paper products, plastic bags, etc. Here I am not as picky. Any plastic bag that is decent quality and on sale is good for me. Again, I hit an initial sale, probably had a three month supply and now add one or two every time there is a sale.

Take these savings, add in the five dollar off coupons that come occasionally and you are set.

8. Karen says

I order lots of the deli cps (the sub combo are very well liked) & hand them out to great employees. I also ask them what they use & put together deals for them with my cps & every now & then I give out a few $5 Winn Dixie cps & the managers know about it & they are thankful that their employees are getting a little help considering our tax rate is 10% on everything!

• Laura says

Dont you HATE to have to factor in 10 whole percent in tax on a pre-coupon total!! Ouch! It really affects thing! Like, if I’m getting something for free after coupons that was originally $5.00, its free! But do I really want to pay that $.50 in tax to get it? Not unless it’s a good one! I’m lucky to live close enough to a 8% tax city that has a Publix, that I usually handle things there if possible.

9. DontMisUseQs says

Single shopper… you don’t use toilet paper, paper towels, garbage bags, cleaners, detergent, shampoo, deodorant? You are missing some good deals if you seriously only buy from meat, dairy and produce and coffee. Many of the MMs are in health & beauty. Donate the items if you can’t or won’t use them.

10. Evan says

Meagan, if you have Aldi in your area, shop there. Meat produce, dairy, etc, will beat Publix easily. Very often a BOBO at Publix plus a doubled coupon equals the regular price at Aldi. They don’t have organic products, but I’ve generally been pleased with everything from there.

• Derpy Hooves says

Buying around the perimeter of the store. Walk in, shop the walls and not the aisles, aka the produce, dairy, and meat departments.

• Brandy says

She only buys stuff from the veggie, dairy and meat sections. Nothing from inside the aisles…like the processed foods.

• maggie says

The perimeter refers to the side and back walls of the store. It is generally where the healthy items are kept (fresh fruits and vegetables, dairy, meats, etc.). Inside is where the processed foods are kept.

11. Brandy says

Im a member of Annie’s Organics organic sharing club. The prices of the shares are amazing for organic veggies and fruits and you can get tons of other things as well. I spend $50 for a full share every other week and it lasts me at LEAST 2 weeks. I still have a ton of fruit so I changed my share (no charge) to a veggies only one. Check it out…its totally worth it!! You dont really know what fruits and veggies are supposed to taste like until you eat this organic stuff.

• Dee says

I was a member of Annie’s for a quite a while a couple of years ago. They have great prices and an excellent selection. As long as you find a consistent pick up place, you’ll really like the club.

Wish they’d had better luck finding a reliable pick up place near me. I miss them….

12. Doug says

Gas card weeks are like 20% ($10 off $50) off everything, so use that to stock up on meat. Even better stacked with $$/$$$ Qs. If you spent $60 next week, used two of the $5/$30 Winn Dixie Qs from the Enjoy the City books, and used the $10 off on a gas card, you’d save $20 off $60, or 33%. So that salmon on aale at $5.99/lb now becomes $4/lb.

13. Jennifer Hugens says

One tip for stocking up on produce is to shop the first day of the sale and the last day of the sale if possible. Doing so can extend the sale by a week or so. Another tip is to eat seasonally – i.e. lettuce in the spring and cabbage in the winter.