I have mentioned before that I am a huge fan of dried beans. They are so versatile, easy to cook and very economical!
There is no reason to be intimidated by dried beans. It is almost impossible to mess them up! All you need is a bag of beans, water, a little seasoning and you can make a wonderful meal or side dish with very little effort. Hurst Family Harvest makes it super simple to create meals that your family will love!
The folks over at Hurst Family Harvest were kind enough to send me some of their beans to try out. I have been just thrilled with all of their varieties. What I love about the Hurst Family Harvest beans is that they give you beans and include a flavor packet that is all natural (no artificial flavors or preservatives). All of their packages come with a great recipe suggestion on the bag to help you make a perfect meal for your family.
While I cook beans year round, I have a tendency to make more in the fall and winter. There is something about a big pot of beans that just warms you up. Things also tend to be a bit more hectic this time of the year. With the holidays just around the corner I will be running like a mad woman. I love being able to take just a few minutes to throw some beans on then let them simmer until I am ready to finish up dinner.
Now, let's talk about cost. Through 10/21, Hurst Family Harvest beans are on sale at Publix for $1.99 (that's $1 off the regular price). One big bag of beans is easily 2 meals for a family of four or even more if you serve them as a side dish.
You guys know I like easy one pot meals, so I came up with a fabulous chili recipe that I think you guys are going to love. It is super simple and it is only about $1 per serving....talk about an economical meal!
- Bag of Hurst Family Harvest Bayou Cajun Red Bean Soup
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion Chopped
- 1 Bell Pepper Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic Chopped
- 6 Cups of Water
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ½ Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Creole Seasoning
- 1 Cajun Smoked Sausage Chopped 16 oz
- 1 Can of Diced Tomatoes 28 oz (or use fresh + 2 cans of tomato sauce)
- 1 Can of Tomato Sauce 8 oz
- 2 Cups Steamed Rice
- Rinse and sort through the beans. Pour beans into a large bowl or pot and cover with 2 inches of warm water. Allow beans to soak over night, or at least 4 hours. Drain and discard water. Set the seasoning packet aside to use later.
- In large pot, heat olive oil and saute the onion, bell pepper and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add 6 cups of water and Hurst Family Harvest beans to the pot and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add Hurst Family Harvest seasoning packet, bay leaf, cayenne pepper, brown sugar, creole seasoning, sausage, tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Cover and allow to simmer for an hour.
- Serve over steamed rice. Add cheese, sour cream and any other chili fixins that float your boat.
Now I will warn you that this recipe is a bit on the spicy side...but, you can adjust the spice as you prefer. This was not one for my kiddos but boy oh boy, my husband and I loved it!! It was so good that we had it two nights in a row and I even froze some for later! You could actually start this one on the stove and then transfer it to the crockpot and allow to simmer all day.
I have cooked all the Hurst Family Harvest beans and have loved them all. You could easily cook up some of the beans bake up some cornbread and have a meatless meal for pennies per serving! At $1.99 per bag you guys definitely need to stock up on all the varieties!
We all know that cooking whole foods is so much healthier and in this case is actually much cheaper!! So why not ditch the can! Grab a bag of Hurst Family Beans and with just a little effort you have a wholesome meal without preservatives that is good for your family AND your wallet!!
How about a giveaway?
The slogan over at Hurst Family Harvest is "Beans For Every Table". So how about some for your table?! Six I Heart Publix readers will have the chance to put some of the Hurst Family Harvest beans on their table with the following prizes:
- One winner will get a $100 Publix Gift Card!
- Two winners will get a $30 Publix Gift Card!
- Three winners will get 3 variety boxes of Hurst Family Beans!
Entry is simple! You just need to complete the task below! You can gain a bonus entry as well (just make sure that you leave one entry for each — up to a total of 2 comments.) As a reminder, comments left on Facebook, Twitter or other posts will not be included. I will choose the winners on Monday 10/10 at 11 pm.
- Head over to the Hurst Family Harvest website and check out the varieties and then come back and let me know your favorite(s).
- Head over and “like” Hurst Family Harvest on Facebook.